HOME ABOUT REVIEWS POLICY EMAIL TWITTER RSS

13.1.14

The Book Chewers' Linkup: Top Five Literary Sidekicks/BFFs


Instead of the Top Ten Tuesdays this week, I'm going to switch things up and do The Book Chewer's Weekly Monthly Linkup instead because I really love this week's prompt. Friendships don't get nearly enough attention as romances do, so this is a post dedicated to all the best friends and sidekicks out there that have to put up with the main characters.

Prompt: Pick your 5 of your favourite literary sidekicks! (I know it's hard to do just five. Do your best.) They can be aliens/dogs/humanoids. Just not the main character! BFFs for the win!


1. Ron & Hermione from Harry Potter Series
“We’ll be there, Harry,” said Ron… “At your aunt and uncle’s house, and then we’ll go with you wherever you’re going.”
“No–” said Harry quickly; he had not counted on this, he had meant them to understand that he was undertaking this most dangerous journey alone.
“You said to us once before,” said Hermione quietly, “that there was time to turn back if we wanted to. We’ve had time, haven’t we?”
“We’re with you whatever happens,” said Ron.
There is no way, no way, I could have a list of the best sidekicks in fiction without including Harry Potter's best (and first) friends. Sure they might have had a few fights along the years, but what set of best friends haven't fought at least once? The main point is that Ron and Hermione were always there for Harry, and they brought out the best in him.


2. Iko from The Lunar Chronicles
“Oh, my stars! Think about Prince Kai! You could dance with Prince Kai!”
This made Cinder pause and squint into Iko’s blinding light. “Why would the prince dance with me?”
Iko’s fan hummed as she sought an answer. “Because you won’t have grease on your face this time.”
Who knew androids could be so sassy? It doesn't matter if she's in the form of a little robot or a giant spaceship, Iko's personality always shines through. I love what a fangirl she is for Prince Kai, and I hope we get to see more of her in Cress and Winter.


3. Faithful from Song of the Lioness Quartet
"Will your cat let me pet him?" Kourrem, the smaller girl, asked Alanna. "His eyes are purple, too. He is very handsome. Is he your brother, who has turned into a cat by great sorcery?"
Faithful, looking smug over the praise, sauntered over to the visitors, letting them pet and admire him.
This little sarcastic black cat who is not named Salem is actually the sidekick of two Tortall series by Tamora Pierce: the Song of the Lioness series and the Beka Cooper trilogy. In both cases, he's the perfect traveling companion, offering guidance, comfort, and a little bit of tough love whenever the heroines need it.


4. Hadrian & Royce from The Riyria Revelations
“Aren’t you going to say, I told you so?” Hadrian whispered.
“What would be the point in that?”
“Oh, so you’re saying that you’re going to hang on to this and throw it at me at some future, more personally beneficial moment?”
“I don’t see the point in wasting it now, do you?” 
Neither of them could actually be considered sidekicks, and both of them would rarely ever call each other friends out loud, but these two thieves have been partners in crime for at least eight years. They've established routines and know each other's habits. Hadrian taught Royce some humanity, and Royce taught Hadrian reality. I absolutely loved their adventures together.


5. Reagan from Fangirl
"Look at them," Reagan said, shaking her head fondly. "They're all grown up."
Cath turned to the cereal bar and watched two very hungover freshmen fumble with the scoops.
"I can still remember the night they came home with their first My Little Pony tattoos," Reagan said.
Sometimes, I think my experience as a freshman in college would've been a lot better if I had a roommate like Reagan. Reagan may seem brash at first, but deep down, she's just a big softie. She pushes Cath to open up without guilt or pressure, doesn't judge Cath for her weird habits, and is unbelievably understanding. Cath really needed Reagan in her life, and it was great watching their friendship develop in Fangirl.


So these are some of my favorite sidekicks in fiction. Who are yours? Make sure to do the linkup as well so I can stalk your posts, or leave your comments below! :D

8 comments:

  1. Abby @ Abbbz and BookzJanuary 14, 2014 at 3:03 AM

    I AGREE WITH REGAN!! She's simply badass and cool! Haven't read the HP series, but I am also excited to get to know hermione and ron! Sometimes secondary characters/sidekicks are a tad better than the main caharacters tbh,


    Great list, Jackie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, more love for Reagan!! <3 And I agree, there have been many times where I like the side characters more than the main (especially in dramas..)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for joining our linkup! Everyone at TBC adores Iko, and Ron and Hermione are a no-duh. Great post. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put Iko as one of my top 5 side-kicks too :D great minds think alike, eh? She's just a bundle of (spaceship of?) awesomeness.


    I've heard so many good things about Fangirl and want to read it SO bad. Because to be honest, Cath sounds like she might be my fictional clone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a fun topic, so thank you for making this linkup! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes to all the Iko Love <3


    And you should definitely read Fangirl! I kind related to Cath, too, and it's kind of embarrassing reading Cath in similar situations that I was in, but it's such a sweet, heartwarming book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved these! Ron & Hermoine & Harry (though he's the main character, I know) are fantastic! I love how they fight and disagree AND love each other. That's a real kind of friendship. Iko....oh Iko! Every time she was on page, I cracked up! She's so witty. :)
    Thanks for joining in our linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think anything will be able to top the book friendship that is the Golden Trio. Why can't more books have friendships like that?? And yes, I wish I had an Iko to fangirl with.

    ReplyDelete