HOME ABOUT REVIEWS POLICY EMAIL TWITTER RSS

21.11.13

Thoughtful Thursdays: Reading Music

A new weekly feature I'm going to try for a while. It doesn't mean that I only think on Thursdays! There are always some random book-related thoughts flowing through my head, so I thought I'd set a certain day to actually write them down. (It may or may not also be a convenient way to keep this blog updated!)

Reading Music

It's kind of a conundrum. When I'm reading, I prefer to have music playing in the background as opposed to silence. At the same time, listening to the wrong kind of music can easily distract me, especially when there are actual lyrics to the music and you know every single word. I don't know about you, but it'd pretty difficult for me to shed a tear for the death of a character when Icona Pop's "I Love It" is blaring. That's why I prefer listening to instrumentals when reading.

I can spend hours making my own custom music playlist, but for those of you who are sometimes as lazy as I am, here are a few other options I recommend:



8Tracks Internet Radio Mixes
8tracks is a site where anyone can create and upload their own playlists for anyone else to listen to. There's a little bit of everything for everyone whether you love acoustic or instrumentals or jazz. You can even explore multiple tags so just search the reading tag and add whatever criteria you want. This is the site I use the most, and it's a great way to discover new music. The three I embedded on top are a few of my favorites. Spotify is another similar site, but I'm not familar with the playlists there, so I can't recommend any.



Original Film Soundtracks
It's makes sense that if you're going to read the Harry Potter series, a good way to immerse yourself in the music soundtrack. But just don't stop yourself at books-to-film soundtracks! Find the OST of your favorite movie or pair a movie with a book that you find similar, and you'd be surprised how well it works. Personally for me, one of my favorite OST to listen to while I'm reading is for the movie The Brothers Bloom. (I also highly recommend the movie. Seriously, how can you turn down a movie with a cast that includes Mark Ruffalo, Adrien Brody, Rachel Weisz, and Rinko Kikuchi?)



Cinemagraph © Jamie Beck & Kevin Burg at Ann Street Studio

Soundscapes
Lately, even instrumental music seems too much, so I've been visiting MyNoise Noise Generators instead. It's actually calming and zen to be able to listen to any white noise you want at any setting you want. For example, if you want to cocoon yourself in several layers of blankets and pretend you're next to a fireplace, you can. If you want to listen to the sound of rain hitting your windowpane even when it's not raining, you can. If you want to pretend you're on the beach, you can. You have to admit, that's pretty cool.




So tell me, readers, do you listen to music when you read? If so, recommend me some songs or playlists in the comments below. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment