HOME ABOUT REVIEWS POLICY EMAIL TWITTER RSS

19.11.13

Top Ten Tuesdays (#1): Books I'd Recommend to My Future Kid


Top Ten Tuesdays is a weekly blog meme hosted by The Broke and Bookish that allows readers to share their lists and opinions on a number of subjects from their top ten book covers to their top ten villains.

This week's topic for November 19th is Top Ten Books I'd Recommend To X Person. Specifically, I'm going to make this a list for the Top Ten Books I'd Recommend To My Future Child. There are some books that have shaped my entire childhood and have taught me the joy of reading, and there are a few books I wish I  read earlier in my life as I feel like I'd have appreciated more then. These are the books that I'd like to pass on my children if given the opportunity.

Top Ten Books I'd Recommend To My Future Child


In no particular order:
  1. Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling The most obvious and common choice, but how can I not include it on this list when it's the series that made me love reading in the first place?
  2. Artemis Fowl (Series) by Eoin Colfer
    Although not as popular, this was the series I fell in love with after being introduced to Harry Potter.
  3. Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Series) by Rick Riordan 
    Another popular children/young adult series, but I figure it'd be a great way to introduce my kid about Greek mythology. After all, if the school curriculum stays the same, they'll most likely encounter The Iliad or The Odyssey at least once in high school.
  4. Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
    What would you do if you could "read" fictional character into real life? Imagine the possibilities. I think it'd a be great book to motivate an imaginative kid to read more.
  5. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland... by Catherynne M. Valente
    A cute, whimsical book. I wish I had discovered this book in my own childhood.
  6. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
    Although a little on the more serious side, I think everyone should try to read this book at least once.
  7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
    Of all the school-required books that my future kid will have to endure, I hope she enjoys this one as it's my favorite and teaches a lot of good lessons.
  8. Protector of the Small (Series) by Tamora Pierce
    I'd actually recommend all of Tamora Pierce's books featuring kick-ass women. These books defined my teenage years.
  9. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell If my imaginary future teenager were to ever get into a fandom, I can already imagine the insecurities and concerns they may have in loving something that may be embarrassed in sharing with others, just like I have had. It'd be awkward to talk to them about them directly, but I hope this book could help them in some way.
  10. The Rithmatist by Brandon Sanderson
    Another fun young adult adventure, but I also like one of the messages in the book. In a world surrounded by magic, just because you may not have magic yourself doesn't mean you can't do great things. Think Monster's University: it's okay to be OK.
Near the end there, I fear I might've started skewing my recommendations only for a daughter, but how much does gender matter when you're recommending a book to someone? What books would you recommend to your child, whether they're a boy or good? Or just recommendations in general? Please share in the comments below.

4 comments:

  1. Janhvi @ The ReaddictsNovember 19, 2013 at 3:20 AM

    Harry Potter <3 I have Fangirl on my pile and I should get to it soon :) great picks!

    here's our TTT



    Janhvi @ The Readdicts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't be a children/ya's list without a mention for Harry Potter <3 Fangirl is a very cute read, you should definitely check it out.


    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your future child will read good books :D HP is a must, I adore those books so much. Have yet to start many others though, but they all look awesome.

    Artemis Fowl was among my faves when I was a kid.
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heya Jackie. I'm going to tap into my inner child and give you a big hug for these recommendations. Inkheart is lovely, and Harry Potter is a staple for sure. Other books like How to Kill a Mockingbird have been on my reading list for years. Some of these series or books came a little after my time of official childhood (and I've heard so much about them!), but I wouldn't mind spending a day reading the Artemis Fowl and Percy Jackson books over coffee. Good stuff. :) Thanks for the recommendations, and like Ula, I think your future child will be one lucky reader!

    ReplyDelete